Working on a permanent 4 on 4 off rotating days and night contract, you will be responsible a team of drivers and office staff in a busy, large site. Focusing primarily on Transport and compliance, you will manage a team of planners, clerks and drivers, driving forward operational efficiency. In return you'll receive a competitive salary up to £33,000, company pension scheme, childcare vouchers, life assurance and chances for progression. Working for a leading player in food distribution, you'll be encouraged to improve existing processes and drive forward improvements, offering savings to the customer.
Who is our client? Our client is the leading time-critical distributor - they provide the essential link between food manufacturers and Blue Chip supermarkets. They work across chilled, deep chill, ambient and frozen, picking around 3.3 million cases per week and delivering around 130,000 pallets of food & drink products into UK grocery retailers each week. They do this through skilled professional staff, who enjoy great training, internal promotion and an inclusive culture.
What is this site like? This is a stable site with a portfolio of impressive blue chip supermarket clients. It's a site that is incredibly fast paced with great development opportunities. This position feeds into a number of management positions, with the chance to be promoted into national roles.
Reporting to the Transport Manager, the Transport Shift Manager duties will include:
- Overall operational responsibility for a team of staff including Drivers, Transport Planners
- Ensuring legal compliance with the O-license, H&S and company policy
- Leading and performance managing a high number of HGV drivers (100 FTEs), and Transport Planners, and Transport Administrators
- Driving the operation forward to exceed KPIs
- Making sure that driver performance is in line with VOSA standards
- Managing drivers' hours and tachographs in line with EC regulations
- Constantly analyzing ways in which the operation can be improved, providing maximum productivity and ultimately providing savings to the customer
- Taking responsibility for HR processes, reviewing staff performance and conducting disciplinary hearings as and when needed
- Making decisions independently as the most senior person in transport at night
- Understanding commercial transport budgets and helping the depot to hit budgetary targets
- Willingness to work rotating days and nights shift rota. This works out as 8 shifts rotatin, i.e. 4 nights on 4 nights off X2, followed by the same on days.
- Experience directly managing a large number of drivers and office staff - 80 to 100 drivers ideally
- Strong Transport Compliance knowledge
- Familiarity with TMS, ideally Manpac and Microlise
- Knowledge of O-license requirements
- Awareness of transport budgets
- Proven track record of managing 80+ drivers
- Exposure to FMCG operations, ideally encompassing food and warehousing
- Experience of conducting disciplinary hearings
- This role will have an element of shift rotation, where you'll have to cover days. Flexibility is necessary for the position with regards to hours.
- Competitive salary of between £32,100 to £33,000 including shift allowance
- Fantastic Company pension scheme (matched contribution up to 8%)
- Childcare vouchers
- Life Assurance at 4X your salary
- Healthcare scheme (cash plan)
- On-line discounts on great products
- The chance to get ahead and work for the leading temperature controlled distributor
- Opportunities to work with a prestigious client base